Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Are you a Lucy?


My family took me to the Rave Monday night to see a movie for my Birthday. I love block busters and had trouble deciding what to see because of all the great films out this summer. I’d narrowed it down to Iron Man, Speed Racer, or Prince Caspian. Based on the strong urging of my kids and a great review by my friend, veteran church planter, Jeff Noble, I chose Prince Caspian. WOW, am I glad I did. Although I’m a huge C.S. Lewis fan I wasn’t bowled over by the first Chronicles of Narnia movie. Let me just say this second in the series delivers a knock out punch.

I don’t want to give anything away for you if you haven’t seen it. But, consider this a small spoiler alert. Lucy is the smallest of C.S. Lewis’ characters that travel back and forth between our world and Narnia. But, little Lucy has the biggest faith of the cast. In a grand scene of epic proportions Lucy is standing on a bridge facing off an army of iron clad soldiers barreling a full pace on their mighty Stallions. In slow motion Lucy reaches into her scabbard and pulls out a tiny sword, about the size of a kitchen knife. As this insignificant little girl wields her less than magnificent sword the army screeches to a halt. The camera cuts back to Lucy and then begins to zoom out into a panoramic shot. There beside here stands Aslan. If you didn’t know Aslan is the Lion King of Narnia, the figure that pictures God in this timeless C.S. Lewis series.

As I watched that scene unfold I thought about how much I feel like Lucy in this church starting adventure. Very small, very unequipped, very overpowered. Put with one turn of life’s lens I see at my side our Aslan, Judah’s Lion King, the Prince of Peace. Our King is the one who’s roar sends demons running, and walls crumbling, and storms subsiding. You might be a Lucy like me. But we have King at our side that reigns over all the land. Take your tiny knife and wield it proudly before all that oppose God’s best for you. You and I are warriors and we have epic scenes ahead to live out in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME words!!! How uplifting!